Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Weekend Trip to Tennessee

Last weekend, we made the trip up to Newport, TN to visit some of my dad's side of the family. The boys haven't been to Tennessee since their first trip, when they were 10 months old. (you can read about that here) I bought these iron ons a couple of years ago to wear the next time we went to Tennessee, so I was excited to finally get to use them!

Greg and I set our alarms to get up about 6:00 and we got ready and loaded the car and then woke the boys up. We left about 7:00 and it's normally a 4 and a half hour trip (without kids) We ended up getting there about 12, I think, so we made good time. We packed all our food and snacks for Saturday and just stopped at a rest area and had a picnic. The weather was absolutely beautiful. It was the first day that we had fall weather, it was a high of 75, perfect for our outdoor family bbq.

Greg made me take a picture of him with the pay phone. He couldn't believe these things were still around. :)


The boys got to stretch their legs at the rest stop, they were happy to just run around in the grass. They were actually yelling "look at me, I'm running in circles" haha.

We checked into our hotel as soon as we got there, before heading to my aunt's house. We had a ton of stuff for just one night because of the boys, but it wasn't nearly as bad as when they were babies. I remember having our car packed to the brim on our last trip to TN, so this wasn't too bad. The boys thought they were something, getting to ride on the bag cart.



After dropping off our stuff at the hotel, we headed to my Aunt Ethel's house. We were there for 4-5 hours and the boys stayed outside for all but about 10 minutes of that.



Family brought chairs and got them set up, probably thinking that they'd get to sit in them, but the boys had other plans. ;)

My aunt has a swing on her porch that the boys were obsessed with! Anybody that went anywhere near it got suckered into pushing the boys for awhile. I think they would have been happy just swinging all day.

The boys decided that Meemaw and Papaw need one on their porch.

Once the first little cousin showed up, the boys were busy, busy, busy. We hardly saw them after that, we'd make sure to keep an eye on them, but they just played and played. They had such a good time with their cousins. Kendra got there first and she's 6. I thought she might think the boys were too little to be any fun, but she was SO good with them. She was sweet and got them drinks, pushed them on the swing, played with them.

The boys loved all the attention.


Carlene and Cristine, their 5 year old twin cousins, arrived a little later and all the kids just had such a blast playing. This was the first time the boys met Carlene and Cristine, they just turned 5. It was fun to see a set of twins a little older than the boys, it's nice to get an idea of what the boys will be like in a couple of years. This was the best picture I could get of the little cousins together. I know my cousin Holly got a great one of them all on the swing, so when she posts that on Facebook, I'll just steal it and put it on my blog. ;)

Carter found a tin can and went and got two sticks and had a little drum set. He had the best time with that, so much so that Papaw told him that's what he'd get him for Christmas. (thanks a lot, Papaw!) I love how Evan is just smiling at Kendra in this picture, he just loved playing with all them so much.

We got one picture of the cousins, that were able to make it. From left to right, me, Caroline, Carla, Jennifer, and Holly. (there were about 3-4 cameras being used and I don't think I ever looked at the right camera)

After all the "boys" went to sleep, me, my mom and my sister snuck down to the lobby to hang out and talk until midnight. The next morning, Greg got up with the boys and took them down to breakfast and then gave himself and the boys a hair cut. We went back out to visit with my Aunt Ethel and Aunt Sherree for a little while before hitting the road. On the way out of town, we stopped at McDonald's to let the boys eat and play on the playground. We were hoping for a nice, long car nap on the way home, but they only slept for about 1/2 an hour. They still did really well on the way home, though and we got home about 4-5 Sunday afternoon.

I'm so glad we all got to make it back to TN. Greg and I were excited that we've only been in Georgia for 2 months and we've already taken a trip to Tennessee. One of the many pros of moving to Georgia was that we were also closer to family in Tennessee, so we're hoping to make trips there more often. It was just so nice to see everybody. We had such a great time.

No comments :

Post a Comment