Saturday, June 23, 2012

Saturday Recap and a Recipe

We had a wonderful Saturday. In the morning, we took the boys to the mall to run off some energy and then we went by Kohl's to do a little shopping. We picked up lunch from Subway on the way home. After the boys nap, we swung by McDonald's and got a cup of ice cream and took the boys to the park. We had their snack there of ice cream and grapes and they loved it. It was really hot, so we decided to come home and let the boys play in the water outside. Greg grilled chicken out for a recipe I wanted to try, and after we put the boys to bed, we had dinner and watched Modern Family on DVD. I've been wanting to see this show for awhile and we finally got it and it is hilarious. It was a great Saturday. Here's the pictures I took from today.

The boys are getting a little tall for their 18 month clothes, so we put them in the 24 month shirts that Aunt B (Brandi) got them for Christmas. They're cute matching shirts that say "double trouble". I remember when they got them, I couldn't imagine them ever fitting into them. :( The boys hit a growth spurt recently. We had to get some 24 month clothes for them as well as some new shoes today. Here they are at the mall. They seem to do more and more every time we go there, they're much more social with the other kids and love trying new things, like climbing or jumping from something new.
We took the boys to the park after their nap and had snack time there. They loved the ice cream!


There was nobody at the park. It was pretty hot and humid.

The boys had a blast playing outside. Carter helped Daddy fill the pools with water.

Daddy's little helper.

I love checking my garden when I'm watering it to see if any of my veggies are coming in. We planted it a little late this year, so I didn't expect anything for awhile, but we're already getting things. One of my okra plants has a few okra on it that are really big! I have several tomatoes (roma and cherry) and I have a tiny little pepper. I'm so excited!
The boys loved getting sprayed with the hose today. They would run and hide and I'd spray them and they'd laugh. They went upstairs on the deck and I would spray them and they would laugh and yell "more, more". They were exhausted when we finally went in. They snuggled up on the couch and covered up with blankets.
I tried a new recipe tonight. It was something we had all the ingredients for, so I figured I'd give it a try. It turned out so good. We'll definitely have it again. We had it with one of our all time favorite side dishes- Rachel Ray's Orzo with Feta and Tomatoes. We both love this side dish so much, that sometimes, it's all we fix and we'll just eat a bowl of it. It's so good!

With this chicken recipe, you marinate it for about 30 minutes, grill it and then top it with the cheese, bacon and bbq sauce and bake it until the cheese melts. The marinade is actually so good that you could just eat it right off the grill without the toppings.
Monterey Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c. bar-b-que sauce
4 slices of bacon, crumbled
1  c. colby and jack cheese, shredded
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning (our favorite seasoning!)

Marinate chicken breasts in oil, soy sauce and Montreal Steak Seasoning for at least 1/2 an hour. Grill chicken until no longer pink. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Top each chicken breast with bbq sauce, cheese, and bacon. Place in oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.

**The original recipe called for a can of Rotel on top of the chicken before baking, but I actually forgot that part. I didn't even notice until I was typing it up for this blog post, it was good the way we had it tonight. Although, next time, I'll have it with the Rotel to see how it tastes**

No comments :

Post a Comment