Monday, March 28, 2011

Black Heels to Tractor Wheels Part 2


I finished part two of "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels" today. I can't wait to read the 3rd and final section. She mentioned at the end of part 2 that there was death, divorce, etc. So, now I'm dying to find out what happens.


From Samantha: What did you think of Marlboro Man's proposal? How would you feel if you were proposed to like that?


I think that their proposal was perfect for them and that it didn't matter to her how he did it. She was just happy to be engaged to him. I would love to think that I'd be like that, but I know I wouldn't. I'd be so disappointed. I love how Greg proposed. The fancy dinner, champagne, romance, surprise, etc. It was perfect. But, I think what he did worked for them.


She wrote a lot about never riding in a pickup truck before and how she used to judge girls who rode in the middle. After being with Marlboro Man she felt differently and actually wanted to ride in the middle. How do you feel about that? Have you ever judged somebody and then after learning more, regret that you had judged them?


I'm dealing with this everyday. It's so hard not to make snap judgements about others on very little information. I think we all do it to a certain extent. I'm working so hard to stop doing it. I don't want my boys to do it and I want to lead by example. I'm trying to be more compassionate and give people the benefit of the doubt.


From mcbracey:


After their first fight, did it make you question if Marlboro man was the one to give up everything for, or was Ree willing to do it because it was easy when everything else seemed hard?


I didn't question whether they should be together, I think she just panicked because she was in an unfamiliar & scary situation and she reacted to it. I have noticed how much she's stepped out of her comfort zone--prairie fires, sticking her arm in a cow's butt, eating steak, staying in and watching old movies, sitting in silence on the porch, etc. But, I haven't really seen much that he's done to step out of his comfort zone and experience what she's all about. I think it'd be nice if she didn't give up everything that made her-her for him. She keeps talking about no more cappachino, no more this, no more that. Why? Why can't the two of them go out every now and then since that was what she was like before? I think she's grown so much and most of that stuff probably isn't important anymore, but she can't possibly be over all the stuff she used to enjoy.


Do you wonder what Ree is doing all day? How is she financially making it? Is she really just waiting around all day to meet up with Marlboro man at night?


I do wonder that same thing! I was thinking that she seems like such an independent, motivated person that wouldn't be happy sitting at the house all day or not working. She seems very type A and I would think that she would want to be busy during the day doing something.


Would you let your now husband duck out of your reception to watch a football game?


I wouldn't let my husband, but if I was marrying a man who used to play college football and I scheduled our wedding during a game, I would. But, only if it was the team he played for that was playing.


From Erin:


How would you have reacted to being around for the prairie fire?


I would have been scared, but I wouldn't have freaked out like she did. I was very surprised at her reaction. I know she was a city girl, but I thought she was pretty strong. I wonder if some of her reaction wasn't to the fire but just being overwhelmed at how much her life was going to change.


From Rachel:


There have been so many funny little stories along the way in the book. What has been your favorite? Any favorite lines?


There's been several, but my favorite was the scenario that she has played out in her head when a female answers Marlboro Man's phone. When she answered the door and thought "But, you're supposed to be in the shower". I thought that whole scenario was funny.

3 comments :

  1. Exactly, why does it seem like Ree is giving up so much for MM? Why can't she still enjoy certain things with him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the phone conversations she plays out in her head! They crack me up!

    Also, I think it's so funny how every girl pictures getting engaged. I'm with you. I probably would have been upset if I were her. But it worked for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about how Ree is changing her life so much and MM has yet to make a change. I guess circumstances with the Ranch make it harder for him but that is not an excuse for everything. You can still have you cappuccino!

    ReplyDelete