Sunday, June 26, 2011

Island Chicken with Pineapple Salsa

My friend gave me this recipe and said it was one of her favorite recipes. I have been hesistant to try fruit salsa and I haven't made many main dishes that require fruit. I didn't know how we'd like it, but I thought this was the perfect time to try something new. I'm so glad we did. Greg & I both loved it. I used the optional jalepeno it called for and left in a lot of the seeds to give it a kick. I couldn't believe how much Greg liked it. We'll be making this a lot this summer. It's healthy and tastes so fresh. Enjoy!

Island Chicken with Pineapple Salsa


Ingredients
16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken

Marinade:
1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, juice only, (reserve fruit for salsa)
1 T low-sodium soy sauce
1 T honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 t red pepper flakes (I added a little more)
Salsa:
Pineapple from strained can
1 mango, peeled and diced
2 kiwis, peeled and diced
1/4 c red onion, diced fine
1 lime, juiced
1 T cilantro, chopped
1 T jalapeno pepper, diced fine (optional)

Directions

Open pineapple and strain to separate juice from fruit. Place juice in a baking dish. Add soy sauce, honey, garlic and red pepper to the dish and stir. Slice chicken breasts into 4 4-ounce strips. If thick, pound out to flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Place chicken in the marinade and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Prepare salsa by combining all ingredients. Preheat grill to medium heat or turn on broiler and place rack in the middle of the oven, about 6" away from the heat source. Grill or broil chicken for 4-5 minutes per side or until the meat is no longer pink. Serve with fruit salsa.

Makes 4 servings, 3 ounces cooked meat and 1/2 cup of salsa

Number of Servings: 4

**I wasn't sure how to pick out a mango since it was my first time buying one. If you aren't sure how to tell if something is ripe--ask!! There's almost always an employee in the produce section stocking and they've always been so nice and helpful anytime I've had a question. This doesn't just apply to vegetables, if you have a question about anything, ask one of the employees. I've asked the guy at the meat counter several questions from how to pick something out, to what something was, and if he thinks it'd work in my recipe and he never steers me wrong**

No comments :

Post a Comment