Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Penne with Pumpkin and Sausage

I found this recipe off the back of a Kroger brand pasta box. I've always wanted to try a pumpkin recipe that wasn't a dessert, and thought this sounded good. Greg and I both ended up loving it. It was so good. You don't taste the pumpkin but it makes the pasta really creamy. I can't wait to have it again.

Penne with Pumpkin and Sausage

Ingredients
8 oz whole wheat penne (I used the whole 12 oz box)
1 lb ground Italian sausage (I used spicy)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
4 garlic gloves, minced
1 cup chicken broth
12oz pumpkin puree
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I probably added a couple of tsp--we like spicy)
pinch ground cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
Grated romano cheese

Directions
1. Cook pasta to al dente, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. In a medium skillet, brown sausage. Drain fat and set aside.
3. In a skillet, over medium heat add oil and saute shallots and garlic for 3 minutes.
4. Stir in chicken broth, pumpkin, cream, crushed red pepper, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
5. Reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes to thicken.
6. Stir in cooked penne, sausage, and cheese.
7. Serve hot with grate romano cheese. Refrigerate any leftovers.



4 comments :

  1. Love love this! It's one of my favorites! So glad you had this on here as the box of penne I picked up did not have it on the back and I couldn't remember all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make this recipe so much I practically had it memorized. Unfortunately that was years ago and I haven't made it since

    I seen to recall the original recipe called for ricotta as well as fresh heated parmesian?

    ReplyDelete