Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Play Dates and Timeouts

Yesterday was our turn to host the Moms of Multiples playgroup. The boys always have so much fun at these and it's nice to talk with the other moms. I got the boys dressed and put them in their matching "I love Papa" shirts and was hoping to get some good pictures, maybe of them together, to show Papaw, but you know how that goes.

Here's Carter in his. He found a pair of sunglasses before the playgroup and decided to wear them around the house.


I swear the kids always do more eating than playing. Snack time is all the kids favorite time. They had cookies with pumpkin on them (a huge hit with all the kids, one of the moms brought them) muffins, and apples.

A messy house is a sign of a successful play date. It means the kids had a lot of fun.

This was the best picture I got all day of Evan in his shirt. :(

The boys are starting to see what they're able to get away with and really test limits. I told Evan to stop throwing his toys and he didn't listen. He can be very dramatic when he's disciplined. He actually went to the time out corner on his own and cried. It was pretty pitiful. :( It was weird because we tried timeout several months ago but it seemed too early and so I'm surprised he remembered. And maybe it was just a coincidence that he went to that corner and faced the wall.

On the way home from the gym, the boys got their goldfish taken away for throwing them in the car. Evan got upset and decided to take his shirt off. Such a little stinker.

Last Friday, a speech therapist came over to evaluate Carter. I've been a little worried that he's behind in speech. He's a little behind Evan and Evan seems to be a little behind kids that are even younger than they are. So, I took Carter to the doctor to get his hearing checked and a referral for speech therapy. The woman came out to the house and had to evaluate Carter on all his development, not just speech, which I didn't mind. I like knowing where they stand as far as development and want to know if there's anything I can be working on at home. I made the appointment a couple of weeks in advance and of course as soon as I made it, Carter started talking so much more. When the speech therapist got to our house, Carter decided it would be a good time to start talking even more. He said sentences which he never uses with us and said words I didn't even know he knew.  Carter (and Evan) are both doing great as far as development. There were three different categories, one which means the child qualified for intervention, one which meant the child was behind and the parents were given guidance on ways to work with the child, and one which was normal. Carter was in the normal category. I'm really glad that we had the appointment and now I feel much better. We discussed the fact that they don't have older silblings, they're boys, and they're twins which are all reasons they may be talking less than other kids. They're also "walkers not talkers" They're very good with their motor skills. And the fact that they've concentrating on perfecting those could be another reason they don't talk as well as another child who may spend more time talking and less time doing things like climbing or jumping. It was very reassuring. I feel like since the appointment, both boys are talking even more. The therapist gave me some suggestions to help them start talking more, things like narrating, but she gave me some specific examples that I found very helpful. I wanted to document this information, but didn't want to do an entire post on it.

Today we're going to test drive some vehicles. We've decided we need something a little bigger for our family and growing boys. Greg is trying to talk me into a minivan, but I don't see it happening. We'll see. I'm sure taking two active boys to a car dealership is going to be quite the undertaking, so wish us luck. :)

No comments :

Post a Comment