Friday, June 26, 2015

VBS Days 4-5

By Thursday, we were exhausted. The only thing I've ever heard about volunteering at VBS is how exhausted you are afterwards. I don't know why that is, but it's so true. One of the other volunteers posted this on her Facebook and I thought it was so funny.

Part of it was the heat, I'm sure. But we were all tired. Thursday, we stopped at Burger King for breakfast. Carter had slept late (I let him sleep as long as I could) so instead of rushing him at the house to eat his breakfast, we left and made a quick stop for breakfast. The boys loved it and it was a fun start to our day.


Thursday's craft was a magnetic cross that the kids got to decorate any way they wanted with buttons, paper, string, etc.

The first day of VBS, the boys fought a little bit right before I picked them up and after that, they chose to sit at different tables and the teacher said they did so good. They talked to different kids and just seemed to do better when they were separate. I knew that splitting them up for kindergarten was the right thing to do, but it still broke my heart to do it. Well, the past couple weeks of fighting and then hearing how different they were apart and how good they were doing was just what I needed to hear to feel at peace about them being in different classes. It's really just eased my mind so much because regardless of whether I know something is the right decision or not, I'm still a worrier. I worry about everything and now this is one less thing I have to worry about. :)

Evan and Carter's crosses also looked completely different from each other.

After VBS on Thursday, they had a pizza party for all the adult volunteers and their kids. (Burger King for Breakfast, pizza for lunch--not the healthiest day)
We sat with the other craft volunteers and some of the teachers. We all happen to have kids the same age and all live really close to each other, so it was a great group of women to be working with.

The boys loved their pizza and even got seconds. VBS really worked up an appetite.


The other rooms for the older kids are done up so nice, so the teachers took the small kids to go tour them so they could see what they looked like. The boys came home and told me all kinds of fun things they saw, like a spaceship, a time machine, etc. I think these tours were the boys favorite part. They got to pick out a "moon rock" in one of the rooms, and that was a HUGE hit!

On the last day of VBS, the kids made ornaments. The leader of our volunteer group was Lindsay and she did an amazing job coming up with age appropriate crafts that would be easy, not too expensive, could be done with the time schedule we have, coordinate with the lesson of the day, and she picked ones that were "junky" and she ordred all the supplies and got it all organized when it came it. Our crafts would not have gone smoothly without her, she was amazing.


I love the ornament idea, since we have a holiday tree, I'm all about having a special ornaments to put up in the summer that they made a VBS.

Carter and Mommy.

Evan and Mommy

Pretty proud of his ornament.

After we got home, Carter would not put his lighthouse craft down. He even insisted on having it in his room when he went to sleep. He loves this thing.

The sheep mask.

Carter's magnetic cross.

The boys "tie dye" bracelets. Evan wore his today, actually.

I looked everywhere for their ornaments and it turns out, as soon as they got home, they got them out and hung them on the holiday tree.

I think this is such a great keepsake craft.

Somebody else already suggested having something like this every year to take home as a keep sake from VBS that year.

I truly enjoyed doing VBS this year. I loved doing the preschool arts and crafts, I can't imagine doing anything else. The boys loved the whole week. They loved their teacher, they made some friends in their class and they enjoyed all the activities they got to do. This week, it's been back to our regular summer weeks with summer program twice a week.

No comments :

Post a Comment