Sunday, December 11, 2011

Paula Deen Recipe

Friday night, I made Paula Deen's Cheesy Black Eyed Pea Chicken Chili (long name!) and it was delicious. I thought it looked good in the picture and it was different from any other chili I've ever made. While I was making it, I started to get a bad feeling that we wouldn't like it, but I was wrong. Greg even had seconds. I added twice as much red pepper as it called for and it gave it a nice kick. I didn't mix the sour cream with paprika like the recipe says, I just topped our bowls with a dallop of sour cream and garnished mine with some green onions. We'll definitely have this again. 

*I got this picture from the Paula Deen website*

 
  1. 3 tablespoons canola oil
  2. 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
  3. 1 tablespoon Paula’s House Seasoning
  4. 2 cups chopped white onion
  5. 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
  6. 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
  7. 1 (15-ounce) can seasoned black-eyed peas
  8. 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  9. 1 cup water
  10. 1 (1.25-ounce) package white chicken chili seasoning
  11. 1 teaspoon chili powder
  12. 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  13. 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  14. 1 (8-ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
  15. 2 cups Breakstone’s/Knudsen sour cream
  16. 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
  17. 1 teaspoon paprika
  18. Garnish: sliced green onions
    Instructions
    1. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
    2. Sprinkle chicken with House Seasoning. Add to Dutch oven, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until all sides are browned. Add onion and red bell pepper, and cook for 7 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Stir black-eyed peas in diced tomatoes, water, white chicken chili seasoning, chili powder, cumin, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cubed Velveeta, and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
    3. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, green onion, and paprika. Top each serving of chili with sour cream mixture. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
 

1 comment :

  1. A friend from church tried this recipe and shared it with me. I've made it a few times and it is wonderful and easy! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete