Saturday, January 28, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

A few years ago, I tried a very basic and simple stuffed peppers recipe that I got out of a Weight Watchers cooking magazine. The magazine was called something like "5 ingredients or less and ready in 15 minutes or less" so it was good, but a little plain. I recently found a stuffed peppers recipe on Pinterest that looked good and decided to try it. After I printed it out and was going over the ingredients, I noticed it was missing some things that I wanted, so I decided to do something I NEVER do, I decided to just add the things I like from both recipes to create my own recipe. . I always go by a recipe and use the exact measurments. I thought they turned out really good, especially the filling. I didn't precook the peppers and they ended up being little overwhelming, so next time, we'll precook them so they're soft and not as strong tasting.

Stuffed Green Peppers
Ingredients
4 large green peppers
1 onion, chopped
1 lb hot italian sausage
1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce or marinara
2 bags of 10 minute rice
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
mozzerella cheese

Preheat the oven to 375. Cook rice according to directions. Trim the bottom of the bell peppers so they have a flat surface to stand on, and hollow the insides out. Take the extra bell pepper you have from cutting the tops off, the onion, and the italian sausage and cook in a pan until sausage is browned. Add sausage mixture to bowl. Add rice, oregano, parmesan cheese, and marinara sauce. Mix well. Add mixture to peppers. You'll have extra, I used a 9x13 baking dish, so I would have room to cook the extra filling. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and add mozzerella cheese to the top of each pepper and the extra filling. Cook for an extra 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.




No comments :

Post a Comment