Sunday, August 5, 2012

Week 1 of Croup

Monday started out like any other, we had our moms of multiples playdate and we decided to meet up at a splash park instead of somebody's house this week. The boys had fun and played hard.

They went from the splash park to the regular park and back. Played with toys that people brought, ate some watermelon. They had a blast. It was my first time bringing both boys somewhere like that by myself and I left with both boys, so I consider it a success.

When we got home and I put the boys down for a nap, Evan wanted me to rock him. He never lets me rock him but I figured it was because he had fell asleep in the car on the way to the splash park and was having a hard time sleeping. I enjoyed rocking him since I don't get to do it very often. I even took a picture. If only I had known how much rocking I was going to be doing this week.

The next morning he woke up early (like 4:30-4:45am!) and wouldn't go back to sleep. We came down and he just wanted to watch cartoons. He felt super hot to me but wasn't running a temperature according to the thermometer. We decided to just hang out at the house and take it easy. Carter played so well the entire day, he was such a trooper.

We moved to the basement for a little while. Carter still played really good, Evan snuggled up in blankets and watched tv.

Carter shared his toys with Evan and even brought them to Evan.

After Evan's nap, I took his temperature and it was 101.5. He had been messing with his ears a lot the week before, so I made an appointment for that afternoon to make sure it wasn't an ear infection.

Evan wanted to wear my Georgia hat and since Evan was wearing a hat, Carter had to wear a hat. So, we found one that ended up being too small, but Carter didn't mind.

Eating a snack while waiting for the doctor.

The doctor checked Evan out and he was fine. The next morning, he woke up early again, coughing. That day he had a cough/runny nose and Greg took the day off to help out.

Both boys were getting a little antsy around the house, so we made a few small, quick trips to get them out of the house. Evan fell asleep in the car on the way to the mall, so me and him stayed outside while Greg took Carter in to play for a little bit.

Since Evan was waking up so early, he was taking his naps early and we were having an long afternoon. So, we took the boys to the Discovery Museum. It was too hot out for me to feel comfortable letting Evan go out and we have a membership to the museum, we figured we could go and let the boys play for just a little bit and it didn't cost us anything.

It really seemed to be just what Evan needed, we stopped by Sam's on the way home and got the boys a hot dog and came home. He was coughing, sounding hoarse, but overall acting pretty good for not feeling well.

Thursday morning was the same thing, waking up at 4:00am, coughing. We spent the day about the same, lots of blankets, pillows and tv time.

Carter was being so good the whole week. He played by himself so well.

Friday, Evan woke up at 3:45 but luckily he let me rock him to sleep and slept in my arms until 5:45. So, I was up at 3:45, but at least he got a little more sleep. His cough seemed to be getting worse, not better. I made another appointment for the afternoon. I hated taking him in again, I didn't want to be that parent, but it was Friday and I didn't want it to get worse the next day and have to go to Urgent Care.

I kept going back and forth after making the appointment on whether he needed it. He was acting a lot more like himself, but his cough, raspy voice, breathing, etc. was awful. I actually considered cancelling it a couple of times.

Greg took Evan to the appointment and I took Carter to Yoder's so he could get some outdoor playtime.

Carter had a blast.

Greg called me from the doctor's office and told me Evan had croup. I'm so glad I didn't cancel the appointment! He suggested we take him out for ice cream since his throat has been hurting and we figured it'd make him feel a little better. It worked. ;)

Carter didn't mind getting ice cream at all.

Carter had a cough and runny nose for two days the week before, so I figured he was who gave it to Evan and we hadn't been careful about keeping sippy cups and things seperate. Saturday morning, Carter was the one who woke up early. He woke up at 5:15 crying (and woke the entire house up) and he normally sleeps to 7:00. Saturday was the worst day of the whole week. They were both so fussy and unhappy. I think they were sleepy and tired of being cooped up. It was a LONG day. We took them to the park first thing in the morning before it got too hot.

Tried walking around the neighborhood with them in the wagon.

The boys took their naps at 10:00am (they normally go down close to 12), we were all so messed up from getting up early all week. When they woke up, Carter was in a better mood but Evan was still pretty fussy.

We got the boys slushees since they haven't been drinking as much as normal and we thought it'd be a good way to get some more fluids in them and sooth Evan's throat. It was like magic. As soon as they drank some, they were playing, happy, etc.

Then Carter started hanging out close to me. He climbed on my lap and laid his head on my shoulder and felt so hot. I took his temperature and it was 103.5. :( I knew he had caught croup from Evan.

Evan woke up at 4:20 on Sunday morning coughing. The doctor said as he gets better, he'll start to get a productive cough (instead of the painful, non productive one he had during the week) I think he would have slept later if it wasn't for his cough, but at least he seemed like he wasn't in pain anymore. But, with him getting up so early, we knew we were in for another long day, so we had to get creative. Greg decided to get the pool from outside, clean it off and put balls in it for the boys to play in. They LOVED it.

We took the boys to the park early, around 7:00am, before it got hot to let them get out of the house.

We stopped by Lowes real quick. Are they not the cutest things holding hands!!

Ah! I love it.

Today went so much better than yesterday, but Carter has had a fever all day and been coughing pretty bad. I do want to say that we brought antibacterial spray with us when we went out today and sprayed the things the boys touched (like the shopping cart at Lowes) so other kids wouldn't catch it. Evan seems so much better and I think we're past the rough part with him. I know we have a few rough days ahead of us with Carter, but luckily my mom drove up today to stay the week with us, so that'll be so helpful.

The boys haven't been eating as much so we decided to pick up these Gerber pouches with fruits and vegetables and they were a big hit. They have ones specially made for toddlers too. It's a great way to make sure the boys are getting their vegetables and it's soft so it's something they'll eat even when they're sick.

I really hope that Carter gets past this fast so both boys can enjoy some time with their Mamaw.

No comments :

Post a Comment