Saturday, October 5, 2013

Government Shutdown, Week 1

I had so many pictures saved on my phone to blog about and then my phone froze up and I lost all of them. :( I'm so sad to have lost weeks worth of pictures, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I might as well start with this week. Greg knew last week that there was a chance he wouldn't have a job to report to on Tuesday. We kept up with the news on Monday night and Greg received a call that the government shutdown was happening, so he didn't have anywhere to go on Tuesday. Neither of us thought it'd last more than a day or two, but here we are, day 5, and they don't seem to be any closer to reaching a deal about the budget, so Greg's been home all week. We're trying to be positive about it, especially since there's nothing we can do about it. It's nice to have time to get some things done around the house together. But, you either have time or money--not both, so we have the time to get projects done, but not the extra money to do some of the ones that would require us to go out and buy some things to complete them.

Tuesday morning, we dropped the boys off at school and went home and had a very productive morning. We organized a lot and got a lot checked off our to do list. We decided to reward ourselves by going on a little lunch date to one of our favorite places. Chinese food from the mall. It's seriously so good, every time we would come visit before we moved back, we'd make a special trip to the mall to get some. After living in Atlanta, Tucson, and Charlottesville, we still haven't found Chinese food that tastes better than China Express (I think that's the name, we've just always called it "Chinese food from the mall) Mmmmmm........

I'm trying to make a photo wall in our living room. I love the way those look and I'm obsessed with photos anyways, so I thought it'd be perfect. I've narrowed down the pictures, got all the frames and I'm ready to hang them up, but I still haven't done it. I'm not looking forward to trying to get them all the way I want and then hanging them.

We let the boys do a little painting outside after their naps one day. While cleaning out and organizing, we came across all their art supplies that we plan to do something with soon.

The boys loved being outside and painting.



I was even able to get them to cooperate on a pinterest inspired project that I've been wanting to do. The directions weren't very clear, so my first try wasn't that great, but I learned a lot, and I'm ready to make some more. I have little feet/hand print art ideas for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Family, you've been warned, if this shutdown doesn't let up soon, these dollar store crafts are what you'll be getting for Christmas. ;)

Friday, we took the boys to the library and then to the park, where we had a picnic lunch and let the boys play.

The boys are loving having Daddy around all the time and we're trying to focus on that and not the fact that Greg doesn't get paid if he doesn't work.


These cute soccer outfits are still a little big, but the boys love them so much, that they insist on wearing them. They were a birthday gift from Aunt Carrie and Uncle Eric, who have very good taste in toddler boy clothes.

The boys had school three days this week and we've just been working on our to do list every day. We did go to the Fort Gordon Oktoberfest on Thursday night, so I'll do a separate posts on that. Hopefully there will not be a "govt shutdown-week 2" post. Hopefully, this all gets resolved and Greg reports back to work on Monday.

No comments :

Post a Comment