Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Twin Play Dates and Swim Lessons

The boys had their last day of their summer program on Thursday, I'm so glad that the boys did this. It was a great way for them to get used to their new school before school starts and they really enjoyed it. They seem to really like all the kids that they were there with and also their teachers.
They were not interested in getting a picture on the last day.

Friday, we met up with the twin moms group at McDonalds for a play date. The boys had a blast, we were there for about 2 hours. The play area is a lot bigger than the one at Chick-Fil-A so it fit our big group well. A couple of the moms have 4-5 kids, so there was a lot of us. I actually had my first encounter with somebody being ugly about kids. Several of us showed up at once, there were probably 15-20 kids playing on the play house and several of us moms were standing around talking. I was standing closest to a booth where there was a set of grandparents there with their two grandchildren. The woman started making these annoyed faces and turned to me and said "do they all have to be that loud" She said it very hateful and I was just so shocked that I just mumbled "I don't know" and turned back to the other moms. The thing is, the kids were all being really good. It was very loud, but none of the kids were screaming or anything, it was just the sounds of 20 kids (mostly 3 year olds) playing and having fun. She then gets up and says to me "I guess ya'll don't believe in discipline" and storms out and over to the counter to complain to an employee. Another one of the twin moms happened to be ordering and heard her complain about how all the kids were being loud and the employee told her if she didn't like it then she should not sit in the kids play area and that they were kids, what did she expect. She came back in and came back to me and the other moms and said "what happened to discipline, you can't discipline your kids? Look at him (pointing to her grandson who was eating) he's being quiet" She left shortly after that, but I was (and still am) so shocked. I've just never had anybody say anything like that to me. I wasn't expecting it, so I didn't have anything to say back, I'm not a confrontational person. I think the worst part about it was that the kids weren't being bad!! She didn't know who belonged to who, she definitely wasn't talking about Evan and Carter, they were being really good and not loud (for once) but if they were being bad, I could have and would have apologized and fixed it, but none of the kids were being loud. I've been to Chick-Fil-A or McDonald's where the kids are screaming (it just takes one and then they all start) but all these kids were just playing. Anyways, the whole encounter really bothered me, I thought about it a lot after we left. I'm hoping she was just having a bad day.

Anyways, besides being scolded by a stranger, the play date went really well. There were some moms that came to Hoppy Feet when we went a couple weeks ago and there were also some new moms that I got to meet. The kids are old enough that they actually play on play dates and the moms can actually talk. I also enjoy our twin play dates. Of course, I didn't get any pictures of the tons of kids that were there or the fun tree house that this McDonald's has, but I did get a pic of the two of them taking a very short break for some chocolate milk and apples.

I tried a couple new recipes last week. I made a crock pot cheesy enchilada quinoa. It turned out really good.

Greg really liked it too. It was easy and really filling. I topped mine with green onions (I love green onions) and we both added a spoonful of plain greek yogurt. I used hot rotel and enchilada sauce which gave it a good kick and the greek yogurt was nice and cold and the perfect topping for this.

Sunday, the boys and I went to church while Greg ran errands. The boys really, really like the kids church (I don't know if it's still called nursery at this age) The teacher is really nice and they do lots of crafts. We started going to this church at the end of April, beginning of May for a couple of weeks and then summer happened. So, we're trying to get back into the habit of going on Sunday mornings. I tried out the contemporary service for the first time, I didn't think I'd like it but I did, I really liked the band. I know that Greg would prefer that service and I know he'd love the music, so when he goes with me, I'll go to that one and when I go by myself, I think I'll go to the traditional service.

Sunday night, I made zoodles for the first time with my Veggetti. I topped them with some homemade spaghetti sauce using tomatoes from my parents garden. I'm excited to try some new recipes with my veggetti and hopefully share some on the blog.

Today the boys started swim lessons. They'll be going Monday-Thursday from 10-10:45 for the next two weeks. I think going that many days in a row and being able to use what you just learned and build on it will really help the boys with their swimming. The last lessons they took were once a week and that just wasn't enough to learn what they needed to learn.

I asked the boys if they were excited the night before and Evan said no. I asked him why and he said "if I don't have my floaties, I'll sink" Poor thing. I assured him that he wouldn't sink.

The boys had a hard time sitting still during swim lessons, they splashed and played a little too much with the other kids while the teacher was working one on one with the kids and taking them in the pool. The other ones that were sitting on the ledge, waiting, got antsy. I ended up having to take away a couple of things (play time at the pool afterwards and freezer pops that they wanted when we got home) for not listening. Besides that, the boys did really good with the swim instruction. They were excited when it was their turn and they seemed to get what the teacher was telling them.

They practiced putting their face under the water and swimming without a floaty.

Evan was so proud of himself when it was over, he said "Mommy, the teacher didn't drop me! I did it, I did it!" It was very sweet.

We were going to stay and play, but since they didn't listen about not splashing, rough housing, etc. we went straight home and changed. They were upset, it was a rough ride home, but after we got home, they calmed down and both, independently (and unprompted) came up to me and apologized for not obeying. It really felt good hearing that, I think they understood what they did wrong and felt bad about it. We talked about the swim lessons tomorrow and they are excited to go and they promise to listen better. I've been looking back on my blog a lot lately (from posts a couple years old) and I wish I had put a little more detail about some day to day things we dealt with, especially now that we're past it, it's just nice for me when I look back on it, so that's why I'm putting these details from the swim lessons.

After the boys calmed down, we made a trip to Target. I had to pick up Carter's new epipens for the new school year (which I got for free after downloading a coupon online) The boys wanted to hold hands walking in, and lately they get mad when we tell them to hold hands in the parking lot, so it was nice to see.

The boys are obsessed with popcorn and have decided that the fire station in Carter's room is actually a popcorn machine and they put blocks (the popcorn) in it and make it and go around the house "eating" it and offering it to me and Greg, then they go up and make more. They do it all day long, so I told them I'd get them some popcorn to eat while we shopped and of course, the machine is down! Luckily, they had bagged popcorn that you could get, so I was able to return something, look around, get the prescriptions, and they were distracted by popcorn.

I let the boys pick out their backpacks for the new school year. They need something bigger than what they have that can fit a folder. I picked these out on our date night the other weekend, but decided not to get them so I could let the boys pick out their own. I didn't point anything out, the boys saw the backpacks and picked this one out immediately. Both boys picked the same backpack.

They also got a matching water bottle. The one they have for school now leaks, so I'm hoping this "spill proof" label is true, and how cute that it matches their back pack. I wanted to get the matching lunch box, but they already have lunch boxes that work just fine, so I refrained. :)

I went to wake up Carter this afternoon and he looks so happy while he's sleeping. I think it looks like he's smiling. So sweet.

I'm going to do a blog post about their first tball game on Saturday, it went well, but I took a lot of pictures, so I'll do a post just about that.

No comments :

Post a Comment