Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Program and A Recipe

Last Wednesday, the boys had their Christmas program at school. They have been practicing their Christmas songs around the house for awhile now and were really excited about it. I thought they looked so cute before school that morning. They love wearing their tie and bow tie, they always talk about how they look like daddy when they wear it.

My dad came with me to the Christmas program, my mom had a doctor's appointment and Greg and my sister were working, so it was just me and my dad, but the boys were so thrilled that he got to come. This is the first preschool program of the boys that my dad has been able to come to.

It was really cute. The boys sang along and did really well. They've been doing these programs since they were 2, so it's fun to see how much they've changed the past couple of years. (you can read about their first Christmas program here)

The kindergarteners all dressed up like different things and did the Christmas story, which was so precious. It's hard to see from this picture, but they were dressed up like wise men, donkeys, sheep, and animals. It was really cute. I didn't get a ton of pictures and I didn't take video this time. I just wanted to sit and enjoy it so I just got a couple of pictures then I sat and watched the program. I didn't get any pictures of the boys with my dad, which I'm really disappointed about, I didn't think of it until after we got home.
 
And just for fun, here's a picture from the boys first preschool Christmas program in 2012 when they were just 2 years old. How cute are they!?


On Thursday, Carter had an appointment with a speech therapist. A speech and occupational therapist came to the boys school and did free evaluations on all the kids and Carter passed, but the therapist said that he may benefit from a full evaluation. So, I spoke with his pediatrician and scheduled an appointment. They take him back and do the entire appointment with just him and then call me in at the end and go over everything with me, so I brought Evan to the appointment since I knew that I would be able to be in the waiting room with him while Carter was in his appointment.

The receptionist on the phone said they had a special siblings waiting room with toys and things, so I didn't bring anything for Evan. When we got there, we found that there wasn't a single toy and just a couple of books. Luckily, I had a pad of paper and some colored pens which Evan thought was the best thing ever.

He was so happy to use all the different colors and it ended up being enough to entertain him while we were there.

Carter did fine and scored in the normal range for everything, so we don't need to go back. The therapist did give us some things we can work on at home, so we're going to start that over Christmas break. After the appointment, we went to McDonald's and the boys got ice cream (with their giftcard from Grandma and Grandpa Westover) and played for awhile. There were a couple of other kids there, so they had a great time.

Friday, the boys had their Christmas party. The theme was a birthday party for baby Jesus. All the kids brought a wrapped gift for a baby and they got to switch them and open them up in class, afterwards, all the gifts were donated to babies in need, which I thought was a great idea. I took the boys to Target and let them pick out the gift themselves.

When I got to school to pick the boys up, the class was having a snowball fight with big cotton balls. They were all having a blast. This was the best idea, the boys talked about it all day. Y'all should have seen these kids, they were seriously having the best time ever. Such a good idea!




When the boys got home from school, they found Dennis ziplining from the tree to the ceiling fan. They didn't go in the playroom before school, so they didn't find him until they got home that day. Dennis doesn't do much, I just move him every night and the boys have such a great time finding him in the morning. I'm running out of ideas, so I decided to do this since I've seen it all over Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, etc. It was so easy and only took a couple of minutes to tie the ribbon and put him on it. It was so worth it too, the boys got the biggest kick out of this.

The next day, Saturday, I had Dennis toilet paper the boys tree in the living room. I found a random roll of toilet paper while cleaning up and decided to do this. I thought the boys would think it was so funny because they think all things "bathroom" related are so funny right now (typical boys) and they did when they first saw it, but later Evan told me that this was not nice of Dennis to do. I don't like the idea of him doing naughty things, but I was running out of ideas of where to move him to. But, now I know, Evan does not appreciate Dennis being naughty. ;)

It's been awhile since I've tried any new recipes, so last week, I made Spicy Avocado Enchiladas, with homemade Spanish rice and Pioneer Woman refried beans. The rice turned out to be really bland. I picked the recipe because it was fast and easy and didn't call for much, but I should have known that it was going to be bland since it basically just called for tomato juice. The beans were pretty good, but also a little bland, next time I'll add some spice to them.

The Spicy Avocado Enchiladas were pretty good. I have a couple good enchilada recipes, but I really wanted to try something new and these seemed pretty different than anything I've made before. Greg liked them too. They are really good if you top them with sour cream and some salsa verde. Here's the recipe: (I got it from the Novice Chef and you can click on the recipe below to go to her blog)

Spicy Avocado Enchiladas

Ingredients

for the sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1 Serrano pepper, minced (I removed the seeds in case the boys ate any)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup medium salsa verde
1/2 cup fat free sour cream (I used full fat sour cream)

for the enchiladas:
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
8 oz Cabot Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded & divided
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 avocados, peeled and chopped
8-10 flour tortillas

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute serrano pepper and garlic, for 1 minute. Stir in flour, constantly stirring, and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a low boil. Once boiling, whisk in the sour cream, salsa verde and cilantro. Remove from heat.
Spray/grease a 9×13 baking dish. Add 3/4 cup sauce to the bottom of the pan. Add chicken, Cabot Monterrey Jack Cheese, onion and avocado to the center of each tortilla and roll, placing seam-side down in the dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Top with leftover cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbling. Serve immediately
 

No comments :

Post a Comment