Friday, September 9, 2011

Recipes, Movie Review and Random Pictures

Greg and I watched "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold". It's a documentary from Morgan Spurlock, the same guy that did "Supersize Me". We've loved everything we've seen by him, including a show he did called "30 Days" and had high hopes for this movie. We were both pretty disappointed. It wasn't very informative, it didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know. Greg actually picked the movie for us to watch and since it's a 3 day weekend for him this weekend, we're going to watch another one tonight after the boys go to bed and it's my turn to pick. So, we'll be watching "Something Borrowed", I'm so excited, I actually did not let myself read the book because movies are never as good as the book and this movie looked so good, I didn't want to ruin it by reading the book first.


Like I said in earlier this week, I'm on a big crock pot kick right now and last night we had "Red Beans and Rice". It was pretty simple and only had to cook for 3 hours in the crock pot. Greg said he "loved" it. He never says that about food, so I was excited that he liked it so much. I gave the boys a bite of mine and they loved it too. They couldn't get enough, I couldn't cut the sausage fast enough for them. I didn't like it as much as they all did, but I'll definitely have to have it again since it was such a big hit. I got the recipe from "Mommy's Kitchen" blog, here it is:

So Simple Red Beans & Rice
1 (16 ounce) package smoked sausage, cut diagonally into 1/4 inch slices
1 - small onion, chopped
1/2 - 1 green bell pepper, chopped
2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 - clove garlic, chopped
2 - (15 ounce) cans bush's light red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 - (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped or pureed
1/2 – 1- 8oz can tomato sauce
1/2 - teaspoon dried oregano
Dash hot sauce
salt & pepper to taste
1 - cooked white rice

In a large skillet over low heat, cook sausage for 5 minutes. Chop up the onion, celery and green bell pepper. Add the chopped vegetables and garlic; saute until tender. Add the beans, tomatoes with juice and tomato sauce into your crock pot. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. I can sneak in a little bit of the Louisiana Hot Sauce without anyone noticing. Add the sauteed veggies. Cover and set your crock pot on low and cook for about 2-3 hours Serve over plain white rice. You can also serve this with sweet cornbread on the side it's a nice compliment to this dish.

I've been trying to eat a little healthier lately. I really like having something sweet in the evenings while we're watching tv, and saw this yummy recipe on Pinterest. You slice a banana and freeze it, top it with a drizzle of caramel ice cream topping and a few miniture chocolate morsals and it's only 2 weight watcher points. It's so satisfying and way better for you than ice cream or cookies.


And here's some random pictures of the boys:

They love going through the drawers in the kitchen and taking things out. Here's my bread pan that Carter took off with.
I was making cookies for a bake sale and turned on the light to see if they were done and the boys were mesmerized. I'm lucky my oven doesn't get hot to the touch on the outside.

No comments :

Post a Comment